This was this morning’s Quote of the Day:
1. Don’t assume sameness.
2. What you think of as normal or human behavior may only be cultural.
3. Familiar behaviors may have different meanings.
4. Don’t assume that what you meant is what was understood.
5. Don’t assume that what you understood is what was meant.
6. You don’t have to like or accept ‘different’ behavior, but you should try to understand where it comes from.
7. Most people do behave rationally; you just have to discover the rationale.
– Craig Storti, in “Cross-Cultural Dialogues”. (Intercultural Press, 1994, pp. 129–131).